- First six-cylinder Plymouth
- Attractive 1930s streamlined styling
- Rare Los Angeles–built example
Walter Chrysler’s new four-cylinder Plymouth was a hit from its first appearance in 1928. A modern design with four-wheel hydraulic brakes, it sold 50,000 cars in its first year. By the time the PA model was introduced in 1931, production had doubled. Updated as the PB for 1932, it gained new contours, including rear-hinged “suicide” doors. The 1933 PC had much the same styling; the big news was a six-cylinder engine, introduced in November 1932. At 189 cubic inches, the new engine was actually smaller than the four it replaced, but it developed five more horsepower and was much smoother. In fact, it was so satisfactory that it served as the pattern for most Plymouth engines into the 1950s.
This 1933 PC Plymouth was acquired by the Merrick Auto Museum in 1993. Previous owners include Butch Brown of Kearny, Nebraska. Painted medium blue with black fenders, it sports yellow wire wheels with wide whitewall tires and bright trim rings. The spare tire is located at the rear and has a full metal cover, with an access door for checking and maintaining tire pressure. The car has a wood-grained dashboard and wide-pleated brown leather seat. An aftermarket Tropic Aire hot-water heater has been installed under the dashboard. The convertible top is tan canvas and shows some age, although it is perfectly serviceable. The engine compartment is sanitary and functional, though not over-detailed.
This car is one of a small number built in Los Angeles. Nineteen thirty-three was a year of laid-back, streamlined styling, and Plymouth was a primary practitioner. The PC models look good from any angle.