The Merrick Auto Museum Collection
$19,800 USD | Sold
| Hershey, Pennsylvania
- Nice example of the famed Auburn Eight
- Classic Car of America (CCCA) Full Classic
- ACD Club Certified
The 1931 Auburn line was redesigned by Alan Leamy, a young designer Cord had hired away from Marmon in 1928. Leamy’s first job was the Cord L-29, the new front-drive car then under development. For the Auburn, Leamy used some of the cues from the low-slung Cord but applied them to dramatic effect on the taller Auburn chassis.
The Merrick Auto Museum acquired this 1931 Auburn in 2000. Previous owners have included Steve Tharp of Osseo, Minnesota, and Chad Sanderson of Auburn, Indiana. In 1992 Sanderson had it certified by the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club, at which time it was maroon with black fenders and authenticated to be of original configuration. It has since been completely restored, painted in tan with black fenders. The body has a matching padded fabric top covering. The interior has been re-upholstered in grey-tan cloth with wide pleats and buttons. The wood trim has been carefully restored, and the damascened dashboard has been thoroughly refinished. Overall, the quality of the interior is very good. The engine is clean but has not been highly detailed. The wood artillery wheels have varnished spokes and are mounted with wide whitewall tires. The spare is at the rear and has a black fabric cover.
All eight-cylinder Auburns are recognized as Full Classics by the Classic Car Club of America. This car is eligible for all club activities, including Classic and Grand Classic meets and CARavan tours.