- Innovative “Fuelizer” pre-heated induction
- Older restoration, well conserved
- “Ask the man who owns one”
In 1921 Packard introduced the Single Six, a smaller, less expensive alternative to the big V-12 Twin Six. It achieved both those objectives, but as it was priced at three-quarters of the larger car’s sticker and with just a 116-inch wheelbase, its reception in the market was disappointing. Over the next few years, however, Packard refined the Single Six and lowered its price. In April 1922 the company introduced two new longer-wheelbase models, Series 126 and 133, so designated for their wheelbases. Bodies were restyled, and other styles became available, 11 in all. Prices were 33 percent below 1921 levels, and sales more than doubled.
The Merrick Auto Museum purchased this Packard Single Six Sedan from Ed Mark of Niles, Michigan, in 1996. An older restoration, it has been sympathetically conserved, but would benefit from thorough detailing. Painted medium blue with black fenders, it has wood-spoke artillery wheels in body color mounted with Firestone Non-Skid blackwall tires. The rear-mounted spare tire is quite worn. The interior is upholstered in blue cloth, some of which, particularly the front seat cushion, exhibits wear and damage. Instrumentation includes a Waltham drum speedometer with an integrated clock. The odometer reads slightly fewer than 49,000 miles.
The engine is equipped with a “Fuelizer,” which pre-heats with a fuel-air mixture before it enters the combustion chamber in order to provide more complete combustion. A 268-cubic-inch L-head, it develops 54 bhp. Selling new at $3,275, this Packard was 40 percent more expensive than the equivalent Buick.