- Only known survivor of the make
- Formerly owned by Gary Hoonsbeen and David Kolzow
- Older restoration that has been well conserved
The Dart Manufacturing Company of Anderson, Indiana, was best known as a manufacturer of gasoline engines. In the years leading up to 1910, the company’s catalogue included a chassis with twin-cylinder engine and a planetary transmission on which a customer could install his own body. The result was a motor buggy in the true sense of the word, with no frills other than the gadgets that the customer chose to attach.
This vehicle is the only known survivor of all the Dart motor buggies built in that period. Purchased by the Merrick Auto Museum in 2016, it was previously owned by the late Gary Hoonsbeen, a renowned authority on early Oldsmobiles, and David Kolzow of Mendota, Illinois, a high-wheeler specialist. An older restoration, it is painted green with delicate red-and-light-green pinstriping. Suspension is transverse full-elliptic leaf springs, front and rear, with perch rods. Engine and transmission are under the seat, with double chain drive to the rear wheels. Wheel steering is on the right, and the black buttoned leather seat matches the dashboard. Lighting comprises a pair of black Cincinnati Victor oil headlamps.