The Merrick Auto Museum Collection
$56,100 USD | Sold
| Hershey, Pennsylvania
- AACA National First award winner
- Formerly of the ACD Museum collection
- London-to-Brighton participant in 1983
- Only known surviving restored Gasmobile
The Gasmobile was built by the Automobile Company of America in New York City and Marion, New Jersey, from 1899 to 1902. Originally to be sold as “American Voiturette,” it was renamed Gasmobile by company president John Flagler, who felt the prior name was too obscure.
Gasmobiles were built in single-, three-, four-, and six-cylinder form, the latter a one-off New York show car. In December 1902, the company’s machinery was sold to the Pan American Motor Company of Mamaroneck, New York, which failed the following year.
Now an older restoration, this 1902 Gasmobile was acquired from the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum. A frame-off project, it took more than 1,400 hours and resulted in an AACA National First prize in 1977. In 1983 it drove from London to Brighton in that year’s Commemorative Run for veteran cars. Previous owners have included William Savatora of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. A well-conserved automobile, it presents well in medium green with yellow chassis, undercarriage, and wheels. The upholstery is original-style black leather. The rear-mounted three-cylinder, water-cooled engine drives the wheels via single-chain drive. It features Gray & Davis brass lighting, black leather seating, and a bright green body with yellow undercarriage.
As the only known surviving Gasmobile to be restored, this car occupies a special place in history. Its age qualifies it as a potential future participant in the London-to-Brighton Veteran Car Run, held across the pond each November.