1912 Everitt Six-48 Touring
Sold For $55,000Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.
RM | Auctions - HERSHEY 11 - 12 OCTOBER 2018 - Offered on Friday
- A rare and unusual model from the founders of the E.M.F.
- Regularly toured in Horseless Carriage Club of America (HCCA) and Antique automobile Club of America (AACA) events
- Mechanical upgrades to enhance drivability
- Original owner’s manual and spare parts included
It may be likely the name E.M.F. rings a bell – Everitt-Metzger-Flanders, to be exact. The Metzger Motor Car Company was formed by Barney Everitt and William Metzger, partners with Walter Flanders in the E.M.F. The Detroit, Michigan, company produced automobiles from 1910–1912 beginning with the Four-30, very similar to the E.M.F. 30 – not surprising since its designer at E.M.F., William Kelly, joined them at the new company.
In 1911, a larger 36-hp four-cylinder model was added, and in 1912, the Six-48, its larger 48-hp six-cylinder model. The company produced only open cars and by late 1912, Walter Flanders rejoined his former partners. The company was reorganized as the Flanders Motor Co. and the Six-48 became the Flanders Six, albeit with the addition of electric lighting and starting. The company lasted just one year before Flanders left to reorganize the United States Motor Co.
The consignor purchased this unusual vehicle from the late Ralph Lehtola of Dania, Florida, in 2005. It was Lehtola who retrieved the Everitt from a Mid-Western barn; described as a “hard-charging guy,” Lehtola set about restoring the car with the intent of using it on tours. He secured noted expert Tom Lester to rebuild the engine. The radiator is a square-matrix design, built by Vintage Wings and Radiators of Manchester, England. An oil pump lubricates the motor rather than relying upon the original splash lubrication. The clutch was upgraded to a hydraulic unit, the rear end was fitted with disc brakes (cleverly hidden within the original drums), and an electric starter was added to be more user friendly – all in the interest of more care-free touring.
Both Lehtola, and the consignor following his purchase, continued to actively use the car on HCCA and AACC vintage tours, and the owner notes that it will continue to service as an excellent tour vehicle for its new owner. Included with the sale is the original owner’s manual, details on the Lester engine rebuild, and a number of spare parts (including the original brakes). The car has been regularly exercised and maintained and is ready for its next tour.