301 cc inlet-over-exhaust single-cylinder engine.
Chicago-based Excelsior was one of the “Big Three” U.S. motorcycle manufacturers in the early years, along with Indian and Harley-Davidson. The company was founded in 1907 and bought by Ignaz Schwinn in 1911, at which time it was making inlet-over-exhaust valve singles and V-twins. Magneto or battery ignition was offered, and the belt-drive was finally replaced with chain-drive in 1913.
The bike on offer is a beautifully restored example of a sound, original motorcycle. Originally restored by Glenn Bator for a prominent east coast collection, all nickel and paint display their original finish. The bike received a full mechanical rebuild and is currently set up for static display.