Hershey | Lot 135
1926 AC 12/24 Royal Roadster
Offered from the collection of John Moir
$49,500 USD | Sold
| Hershey, Pennsylvania
9 October 2014
- Offered from the collection of John Moir
- Beautifully restored; an AACA award winner
- A CCCA Full Classic
24 bhp, 1,496 cc SV inline four-cylinder engine with two valves per cylinder, three-speed manual transmission, live front and rear axles with quarter-elliptic leaf-spring suspension, and rear-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 105 in.
By 1907, Autocars and Accessories Ltd. had reorganized as Autocarriers Ltd., which continued until 1921, when well-known British motoring entrepreneur Selwyn F. Edge gained control of the firm. Founders John Weller and John Portwine resigned, and Edge proceeded to rename the company AC Cars Ltd., the name by which it would continue to produce automobiles for decades to come.
In 1926, most AC products were powered by the two-liter, six-cylinder, overhead-cam engine that Weller had designed in 1919 and which the company would produce with continual improvements until 1963. The 12/24 was an exception, as it was powered by a 1,496-cubic centimeter, side-valve, four-cylinder engine that was supplied by well-known British motorcycle manufacturer Anzani. This would be the final year that a four-cylinder model was available, but with peppy performance and attractive design, no one could say that it did not go out with a “bang.”
John Moir describes his Royal Roadster as being “a very handsome car with elegant nickeled instruments, coco mat pads on the running boards, and a rumble seat. On the rear end of the driveshaft, protruding through the differential, is a rotating disc, which can be clamped to stop the car when the driver needs to park; I think this may be the first use of a disc brake.”
When acquired for the collection, the car was finished in black and tan, but expert restorer David Steinman refinished the body in its present tan with dark green trim, brown leather upholstery, and canvas top. In a book of mascots and radiator ornaments, Mr. Moir had found an illustration of a teddy bear holding an AC logo and wearing a British three pence around his neck. Mr. Steinman and his son, a dentist, modeled a bear in clay and cast it in brass, and Mr. Moir found a 1926 three pence coin for the bear’s belly. This mascot is on the car today. This Royal Roadster has been shown but seldom driven since completion of its restoration. As such, it is still well finished in all regards, with bright, shiny paint and excellent trim, and it would polish up nicely for continued concours appearances.
The car has been a great favorite of the Moirs, and it is also an AACA award winner. All pre-1939 AC automobiles are accepted by the Classic Car Club of America as Full Classics, which makes this beautiful machine eligible for their events as well. It is a wonderful jewel.