Lot Number
279
language

1949 Veritas BMW Rennsport

€450,000 - €550,000

RM | Sotheby's - ESSEN 11 - 12 APRIL 2019


Chassis No.
Engine No.
85123
105542
  • Impeccably restored by BMW/ Bristol Specialists TT Workshops at a cost of almost £100,000
  • Previous competitor in Plateau C of the Monaco Grand Prix Historique
  • Hugely eligible and immaculately prepared; ready to compete in vintage racing and rallying
TEMPORARY IMPORT

In terms of engineering output—and specifically racing car production—the immediate post-war landscape in Germany was unrecognisable from that prior to the outbreak of hostilities. The domination of the mighty Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union teams in Grand Prix racing in the 1930s was but a distant memory, and the Allies’ post-war ‘industrial disarmament’ plan for Germany had seen industrial production slashed to roughly half the level of 1938, with widespread shortages existing in raw materials, facilities and labour. In the context of motor racing—and in direct contrast to the seemingly limitless development budgets of the 1930s—Germany immediately resolved to adopt a ‘make do and mend’ philosophy, with the pre-war BMW 328 engine offering a faint glimmer of hope to any aspiring engineers.

The underlying 328 chassis found here bears no. 85123 and was supplied to Chany Wagner, a BMW dealer located in Luxembourg. According to marque specialist Martin Schröder, the car was first registered in September of 1937 to Wagner. It was first seen with Honoré Wagner at a race in Eifel in 1951. Wearing racing no. 18 and entered as ‘Wagner Spezial BMW’, it finished 5th.

At some point the car was brought to Veritas, allegedly to be converted to RS specifications. This process was begun but was sadly never completed prior to Veritas going out of business. It is thought that the car might have been given to a French employee in lieu of outstanding payment. Unfinished at this time, the car was fitted with homemade bodywork and made its way to France.

In 1978, Jürgen Sinkel, a respected historic racer living in Düsseldorf, found this car in Southern France in poor condition. At this time, it was sporting a Talbot engine and a French Cotal transmission. Fuel filler caps were found next to the windshield mountings for side-mounted fuel tanks, a Veritas trademark. He removed the existing engine and gearbox, installing a Bristol engine and transmission in their place. Thereafter ownership passed to the celebrated Anglo-Iranian collector Fuad Majzub, but the car remained in Düsseldorf until at least 1990, and the car was later transported to renowned BMW and Bristol specialists TT Workshops Ltd. of Westbury, Wiltshire, for a complete restoration, which included painstaking recreation of Veritas RS bodywork.

Purchased by German enthusiast Claas Werner in 1995, the restoration at TT Workshops began in October of that year and was finally completed in the Spring of 1998, at a cost of almost £100,000. After sparing use by Werner in events such as the Eifel Klassik, the car was purchased in 2000 by the current owner, who used it extensively in events as diverse as the 2008 Monaco Grand Prix Historique, 2008 Angouleme Circuit des Remparts and 2012 Eifel Rennen. During its latter-day historic racing career, a further CHF 140,000 was spent on ongoing maintenance and race preparation with respected restoration and race preparation specialists Graber Sportgarage AG of Toffen, Switzerland.

As with many 1950s sports racing cars—and particularly those powered by the wonderfully tractable BMW engine—chassis no. 85123 remains an extremely versatile and usable car, equally at home on either road or track. Eligible for a wide range of motoring events, including the Monaco Grand Prix Historique, Mille Miglia, Colorado 1000, Goodwood Revival and the Royal Automobile Club Woodcote Trophy, it remains a rare, charismatic and highly significant example of early post-war German engineering.


• Für rund £100.000 beim BMW und Bristol Spezialisten TT Workshops perfekt restauriert

• Ehemaliger Teilnehmer im Plateau C des Monaco Grand Prix Historique

• Vielfältige Teilnahmemöglichkeiten für historischen Rennsport, präsentiert sich makellos

Die Produktivität deutscher Ingenieure direkt nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg war mit der Geschäftigkeit vor dem Krieg nicht annähernd vergleichbar. Die Dominanz der mächtigen Mercedes-Benz und Auto Union Teams war Vergangenheit, und durch den Abrüstungsplan der Alliierten für Deutschland war die Industrieproduktion auf weniger als die Hälfte des Vorkriegsniveaus reduziert worden. Es mangelte an Rohmaterialien, Produktionsanlagen und Arbeitskräften. Im Hinblick auf den Rennsport musste sich Deutschland in starkem Kontrast zu den beinahe unbegrenzten Budgets der 1930er Jahre nun mit dem begnügen, was verfügbar war. So gab nur der Motor des Vorkriegs-BMW 328 den Ingenieuren einen Schimmer der Hoffnung.

Das diesem Veritas zugrundeliegende BMW 328 Chassis, Nr. 85123, wurde neu an den Luxemburger BMW Händler Chany Wagner ausgeliefert. Nach Angaben des Markenspezialisten Martin Schröder fand die Zulassung im September 1937 auf Wagner statt. Zum ersten Mal öffentlich in Erscheinung trat der Wagen mit Honoré Wagner am Steuer bei einem Rennen in der Eifel 1951. Der mit Startnummer 18 versehene und als „Wagner Spezial BMW“ angemeldete Veritas fuhr auf den 5. Rang.

Irgendwann wurde der Wagen zu Veritas gebracht, angeblich um auf ein RS-Modell umgebaut zu werden. Der Prozess wurde zwar begonnen, doch durch Veritas’ Insolvenz nie beendet. Es wird angenommen, dass dieser Wagen einem französischen Veritas-Mitarbeiter als Ersatz für ausstehenden Lohn überlassen wurde. Der zu dem Zeitpunkt unfertige Veritas der zu diesem Zeitpunkt unfertige Veritas ging nach Frankreich und bekam dort einen Eigenbuazkarosserie.

1978 fand der angesehene Oldtimerrennfahrer Jürgen Sinkel aus der Nähe von Düsseldorf das Fahrzeug in schlechtem Zustand in Frankreich, mit einem Motor aus einem Talbot und mit Cotal-Getriebe. Neben der Windschutzscheibenaufnahme fanden sich Tankverschlüsse für seitlich angebrachte Tanks, eine Besonderheit der Veritas-Rennwagen. Sinkel ersetzte Motor und Getriebe durch solche aus einem Bristol. Anschließend ging der Wagen an den bekannten Sammler Fuad Majzub, blieb jedoch bis mindestens 1990 in Düsseldorf. Später wurde er zu den det renommierten BMW- und Bristol-Fachwerkstatt TT Worshops Ltd. im britischen Westbury geschickt, wo er einer detailgetreuen Restaurierung unterzogen wurde, die auch einen Umbau auf eine Veritas RS Karosserie umfasste.

Die vom damaligen Besitzer Werner Claas 1995 bei TT in Auftrag gegebene Restaurierung zu Kosten von fast 100.000 britischen Pfund begann im Oktober des gleichen Jahres und dauerte bis ins Frühjahr 1998. Werner selbst hat den Wagen wenig genutzt, so zum Beispiel bei der Eifel Klassik. Im Jahr 2000 schließlich ging der Veritas an den derzeitigen Besitzer, der ihn intensiv bei Veranstaltungen wie dem Monaco Grand Prix Historique 2008, den Angouleme Circuit des Remparts im gleichen Jahr oder dem Eifel-Rennen in 2012 eingesetzt hat. Während der jüngeren Rennkarriere sind weitere 140.000 Schweizer Franken in Unterhalt und Rennvorbereitung bei den angesehen Restaurierungs- und Rennvorbereitungsfachleuten Graber Sportgarage AG im schweizerischen Toffen investiert worden.

Wie viele Rennwagen der 1950er Jahre – und besonders solche mit dem wunderbaren BMW Motor – bleibt auch Veritas 85123 ein extrem vielseitig einsetzbares Fahrzeug, auf der Straße wie auf der Rennstrecke. Er ist für eine Vielzahl historischer Events zugelassen wie dem Monaco Grand Prix Historique, der Mille Miglia, den Colorado 1000, dem Goodwood Revival oder der Woodcote Trophy des britischen Royal Automobile Club. Ein charismatisches und sehr bedeutendes Beispiel der Ingenieurskunst aus dem frühen Nachkriegsdeutschland.



Suggested lots

15 - 17 August 2019

Monterey

Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California

RM | SOTHEBY'S

29 August - 1 September 2019

Auburn Fall

Auburn Auction Park, Auburn, Indiana

RM | AUCTIONS