The Dingman Collection | Lot 926
1938 Ford V-8 DeLuxe Coupe
Offered from a private collection
$50,400 USD | Sold
| Hampton, New Hampshire
24 June 2018
- Offered from a private collection
- Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) Ford Award and Early Ford V-8 Club Dearborn Award winner
- Meticulously maintained restoration
- One of the finest examples available
Starting in 1938, Ford began an effort to distinguish its Standard and DeLuxe models. While the Standard models were built with 1937 front sheet metal, DeLuxe models received new, updated front-end styling. They were distinctively designed with a new heart-shaped grille that flows over the crown of the fender catwalks and continues after a short break in similarly delicate finned side-vents. DeLuxe models also benefited from the addition of dual windshield wipers, walnut wood-grain window moldings and dash panels, a “banjo” steering wheel, a vanity mirror in the sun visor, and a locking glove-compartment door with a factory clock.
This Washington Blue DeLuxe coupe also includes spider hubcaps on double Ford wire wheels and a spectacular leather interior. In the late 1990s it underwent a meticulous 1,000-point restoration for noted Ford collector, the late Larry Bailey, and has been very well maintained ever since. Along with winning multiple AACA awards, including the Ford Award for the best pre-WWII Ford in the nation, this beautiful ’38 also won a Dearborn Award at its first showing in Early Ford V-8 Club of America judging, in 1998. During restoration, no detail went untouched or was overlooked. Mr. Bailey discovered several original and unusual items straight from the factory. The floor pan had been left Red oxide primer. There were also factory marks such as a large “X” on the rear end, firewall, and several other locations. These details were restored exactly as they were found on the car.
Very impressively and meticulously restored, this 1938 DeLuxe Coupe warrants close attention. It is as close to the way it came off the assembly line over 70 years ago as is possible, and it has certainly received excellent and consistent care since completing its restoration in the late 1990s.