The Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum | Lot 279
1956 Lloyd LS 400 Kombi
$20,125 USD | Sold
| Madison, Georgia
15 February 2013
Manufacturer: Lloyd Motorenwerke GmbH
Origin: Bremen, Germany
Motor: Borgward 2-cyl., 2-stroke
Displacement: 386 cc
Power: 13 hp
Length: 11 ft.
Identification No. 256608
The Lloyd 400 continued to be built in limousine and kombi, for Kombinationswagen, or station wagon, form, but the LC 300 two-seater coupe was replaced by a four-seater cabriolet, the LC 400, with fixed side windows and a folding canvas roof.
The fabric-bodied Lloyd had been affectionately nicknamed the “Leukoplast Bomber,” from the common habit of repairing vinyl tears with Band-Aids. By October 1954, the conversion to an all-steel body shell was complete, including a steel roof pressing, and the car finally had a uniform paint shine all over. Interestingly, the car was not painted as a unit, as is universal practice now. Instead, the individual steel panels were lacquered separately and carefully screwed to the wood frame one at a time. The kombi answered a shortcoming of all the limousines: the lack of an opening trunk lid. The spare wheel and the luggage being carried in the trunk space were only accessible from inside the car, by folding down the seat backs. For the kombi, the body structure was not substantially changed, apart from a squared off roof extension and the welcome addition of a rear door. This example has been expertly restored and is liveried in a lovely grey with dark grey wheels. The brightwork appears to be in excellent order, with consistent fit, finish, and presentation throughout.