Arizona | Lot 233
1956 Mercedes-Benz 300 Sc 'Sunroof' Coupe
$368,000 USD | Sold
| Phoenix, Arizona
17 January 2020
- One of only 98 300 Sc coupes built
- Features a very rare and unusual Venti sunroof
- 42 years of fastidious care by the current owner
- Retains its original matching-numbers body and engine
- Restored by a former factory mechanic and marque specialist
- Recent brake and fuel system service by Mercedes-Benz Classic Center
- Currently displays less than 25,750 km (16,000 miles)
- Accompanied by luggage and owner’s manual
In late 1955 Mercedes-Benz updated its flagship 300 S sports coupe with a fuel-injected dry-sump version of the marque’s inline six-cylinder engine, introducing elements from the 300 SL. The resulting 300 Sc was hand-built in a smattering quantity of 200 examples over three years, 98 of which were finished as coupes.
This beautifully presented 300 Sc claims rare factory options and benefits from the care of a single owner for the past 42 years. According to a factory production record, chassis no. 6500070 was originally finished in graphite grey and trimmed in a special upholstery combination of grey leather seats with matching grey corduroy door panels and a grey headliner. Most important, the factory data confirms the car was equipped with a very rare and unusual Venti steel sunroof, making it one of perhaps as few as a dozen sunroof coupes. Additionally, the car was fitted with a Becker Mexico radio, windscreen washer, and a rearview mirror. The coupe was dispatched in late April 1956 to its buyer, Friedrich Liese G.m.b.H., a metalworking company based in Hamm, Germany.
At some point over the following two decades, the Mercedes-Benz was exported to the United States, where ownership was assumed in the Pacific Northwest. By 1977 the rare sunroof coupe was owned by Siegfried Linke, a marque expert based in Seattle, Washington. Mr. Linke began his career with Mercedes-Benz as a classically trained apprentice and employee at the Daimler-Benz factory in Stuttgart during the early 1960s before immigrating to the United States in 1963 with an offer in hand from Phil Smart Mercedes-Benz in Seattle. After two years at the dealership, Mr. Linke founded his own service house, European Motors, which he successfully operated for nearly 30 years.
In late 1977, Mr. Linke sold the 300 Sc to the consignor, a Seattle-based enthusiast who doted on the fine coupe, carefully garaging it and servicing it as needed. The car was largely stored for the following forty years, though the owner conducted some restoration work over two rounds in 1998 and 2006. Mr. Linke was retained to perform a sympathetic refurbishment that included a refinish of the exterior in black and re-upholstery of the interior with black leather seats, light grey door paneling and carpets, and a complementary headliner. Mechanical elements were rebuilt as needed, and the engine bay was detailed. Most recently, the brake and fuel systems were fully serviced by the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center in Irvine, California, and the car was treated to a comprehensive detail.
Rarely driven over the last 42 years, the Mercedes-Benz currently displays less than 25,750 kilometers (16,000 miles) on the odometer. The rare sunroof coupe is accompanied by trunk luggage, an original owner’s manual, and a copy of the factory build card.