Arizona | Lot 136
1939 Packard Twelve Touring Cabriolet by Brunn
Offered from a Private Collection
$128,800 USD | Sold
| Phoenix, Arizona
18 January 2018
- Offered from a private collection
- Formerly of the George Tilp and Otis Chandler collections
- One of just 15 examples produced; known history since new
- 38,500 actual miles; original rear compartment upholstery
- Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) Full Classic
One of the last “catalogue custom” bodies produced for the Packard Twelve chassis was Buffalo, New York, coachbuilder Brunn’s touring cabriolet, offered in 1938 and 1939. Built by Brunn using Packard factory convertible sedan door stampings, modified extensively, it was a lush limousine with a padded, fabric-covered roofline and “Neutralite” tinted glass skylights above the windshield. The latter, a Brunn innovation, allowed the owner’s chauffeur to easily view traffic signals.
The car offered here has a known history back to its original owners, the Armour (Meats) family in Chicago. It remained with the Armours until 1950, then passed to early Packard enthusiast Hal Davock of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, who kept the car for nine years. It was then purchased by George Tilp of New Jersey, best known as an early sponsor of legendary racing driver Phil Hill; Mr. Tilp had the car refinished in its original color, Brunn Ruby, and won awards with it in CCCA competition.
Dr. Armand Crescenzi of New York bought the car from Tilp in 1981. Four years later the Packard was purchased by Al Dumrose of Corrales, New Mexico, with whom it remained until 1998, when the late, great collector Otis Chandler added it to his famous Vintage Museum.
As the Chandler collection’s focus changed toward big-horsepower Brass cars in 2003, the current owner succeeded in adding the Brunn to his collection. It has been maintained there since, with 38,500 original miles; Mr. Chandler believed this to be the lowest-mileage survivor of its type, and it is certainly among the most original, retaining its Brunn rear compartment interior from 1939, including a radio with armrest controls.
Boasting superb history with noted enthusiasts, not least Tilp and Chandler, this is an extraordinary Full Classic Packard, representing the end of a coachbuilt era.