$800,000 - $950,000 USD | Not Sold
| Amelia Island, Florida
- Exhaustive seven-year restoration by a specialist in Italy completed in 2019
- Desirably equipped with Nardi conversion kit, including three-spoke steering wheel and floor-mounted shifter
- Awarded at numerous meets of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club
- Exhibited at Concorso Italiano and the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance
- Documented with period correspondence from Alfa Romeo Centro Documentazione, prior titles and bills of sale, Italian Car Registry entry, and restoration photos and invoices
Upon resuming automobile production after World War II, Alfa Romeo continued with the latest development in its prewar lineup, the 6C 2500. Introduced in 1939, the model featured an increased engine displacement of nearly 2.5 liters, and the Super Sport iteration rode a shortened 2,700-milimeter wheelbase chassis while being equipped with a triple-carbureted intake.
Standard coachwork for these desirable sport saloons was built by Touring with the coachbuilder’s signature lightweight Superleggera technique of welding an aluminum body to a small-diameter tube-frame. Widely regarded as one of the most advanced mechanical platforms of the immediate post-war era, the 6C 2500 has evolved into one of Alfa Romeo’s most collectable vintage models, deftly combining performance, style, and luxury.
This exquisite Alfa Romeo is offered on the heels of a comprehensive no-cost-spared restoration in Italy that has resulted in one of the most stirring examples to be seen in many years. While the data of Luigi Fusi and Tito Anselmi indicates that chassis number 915668 was built in 1948, a 1989 letter from Alfa Romeo’s Centro Documentazione department states the car completed assembly in December 1949, finished in Light Green paint. Given the car’s current configuration, it is reasonable to assume that it was factory-equipped with the Nardi conversion option, including a three-spoke Nardi steering wheel and floor shifter (rather than the standard column shifter).
In April 1950 the Alfa Romeo was sold to its first owner, Gino Rossato of Vicenza, Italy, and within three years the 6C passed to Jack Worseldine, a US naval officer stationed in Naples. Upon his return to the United States Mr. Worseldine exported the car to America in October 1958, and he soon registered it in his native state of Iowa. In September 1960 the 6C 2500 was purchased by Charles Leininger of Mission, Kansas, and two years later he sold the car to Walter Deitchmann of Kansas City, Missouri.
Mr. Deitchmann impressively retained possession for 27 years before selling the Alfa Romeo in May 1989 to respected collector Tom Congleton of Paradise Valley, Arizona, who immediately commenced a nut-and-bolt restoration. Entrusted to Steve Gundler Restorations and Carriage Motor Works (both located in Kansas), this fine work included a refinishing of the coachwork in rosso.
After completion of the restoration Mr. Congleton enjoyed the car at various events, notably presenting it at the 1992 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance and the 1998 Concorso Italiano. The 6C 2500 also won several awards at meetings of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club, and it was featured on the cover of the club’s magazine for three different issues.
In May 2002 Mr. Congleton sold the Alfa Romeo to the consignor, a knowledgeable 6C 2500 enthusiast who owns three other examples. The new owner initially continued presenting the Super Sport at AROC events and local shows, including two appearances at the Tutto Italiano at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, Massachusetts (the car notably won Best of Show at the 2008 event).
In 2012, with a dream of crafting the most finely restored example in imagination, the consignor opted to conduct a full restoration for which he commissioned the renowned specialists at Bonfanti Garage in Bassano Del Grappa, Italy. The engine and running gear were comprehensively rebuilt, while the coachwork was refinished in the original shade of light green, and the interior was reupholstered with original-style boar hides. Numerous proper components were sourced and installed, including the Carrello headlamps, Bosch “browed” driving lights, and the rare Autovox radio.
Taking over seven years to complete, the painstaking refurbishment cost over $500,000 as reflected by invoices on file, leaving the car in an incredibly pristine and authentic condition. The fabulous restoration has yet to be displayed on a concours field, leaving that pleasure to the future caretaker.
Documented with period correspondence from Alfa Romeo’s Centro Documentazione, prior titles and bills of sale, an entry from John De Boer’s Italian Car Registry, and dozens of restoration photos and invoices, this breathtaking Alfa Romeo is undoubtedly one of the finest restored examples of the model one might ever hope to encounter. It is ideal for enjoyment on the open road or the concours field, sure to capture the heart of any marque enthusiast.