$302,000 USD | Sold
| Amelia Island, Florida
- A beautifully presented example of the spirited, sporting XK 150 S 3.4
- Retains numbers-matching engine and cylinder head, gearbox, and body
- No-expense-spared restoration completed in 2021, with original hardware and fittings restored and plated to factory specification
- Features performance-built motor with improved and balanced internal components
- Accompanied by JDHT Production Record Trace Certificate, tools, spare, and manual, and documentation including restoration photos
As the penultimate evolution of the XK platform, introduced with the XK 120 in 1948, the XK 150 S 3.4 was the near-pinnacle of the third-generation model introduced in 1957. The use of three SU carburetors, straight-port intake manifolds, upgraded camshafts, and a lightened flywheel contributed to a raise in output to 250 horsepower, while four-wheel disc brakes provided stopping power that had been proven at Le Mans. The XK 150’s re-worked body design included a wider one-piece curved windscreen and thinner doors, providing greater interior space and comfort. Not entering production until 1958, the roadster variant featured roll-up windows to ensure optimal weather protection.
In 1973, this Jaguar was partially disassembled and stored in the basement of a home in Lilburn, Georgia. The unfinished project would remain dormant for many decades until word of the car’s existence piqued the interest of a restorer, John Merritt. After uncovering the location and striking a deal with the former owner 2014, the vehicle was excavated from its tomb along with the various components which had been separated from the Jaguar over the years. The car was turned over to Bob Wagner’s shop in Decatur, Georgia, where a collaborative six-year-long restoration between Wagner and Merritt Classics began. A photo file documents the extent of the project from beginning to end and further shows the attention to detail practiced throughout the build.
The engine and gearbox, both numbers-matching per the accompanying Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Production Record Trace Certificate, were rebuilt. The former received custom high-compression forged pistons, ISKY camshafts, and a stainless exhaust system, while the latter features modified gears for smooth operation. On all four corners, larger wire wheels have been shod in Avon Turbosteel tires. Furthermore, cooling concerns have been addressed thanks to the installation of an aluminum radiator and electric fan.
Bodywork was performed in Alabaster, Alabama, with the upholstery receiving a fresh coat of Indigo Blue paint and the interior reupholstered with Biscuit leather sourced from Suffolk & Turley, near Coventry, England. Advanced Plating in Portland, Tennessee handled all the chrome work on the car to an extraordinary level. The driving instrumentation was also restored to perfection by Mo-Ma out of Albuquerque, New Mexico.
The Jaguar is accompanied by its manual, tools, restored jack, spare tire, and documentation pertaining to the restoration. Fewer than 400 miles have been put on the odometer since the completion of this no-expense-spared restoration, and with its powerful “S” specification, triple-carburetor engine, and additional tuning, this XK 150 has been well set-up for spirited motoring—a true driver’s car suitable for any rally, domestic or international.