- Offered from a private collection
- Formerly owned by William K. Haverstick and Roy Warshawsky
- Numbers-matching chassis, body, and engine, as documented by its build sheet
- Older restoration in good overall condition
- Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) Full Classic
In the Classic Era, when any automaker worth its salt produced a V-12 or V-16 model, Cadillac was unique in building production examples of both, in addition to their long-lived and trusty V-8. The V-12 served to bridge the gap between the merely expensive V-8 and the immensely costly V-16, both in size and performance. It was based upon much of the V-8’s chassis engineering and modestly sized frame, and while its engine was not as fast as the V-16, it provided smooth performance and a cruising speed of around 70 mph in most styles.
Production of the 12-cylinder Cadillac would last from 1931 through 1937, with its design evolving alongside its corporate brethren. They were never produced in great quantity, with 1933’s elegant new streamlined bodywork failing to move manufacture past just 952 examples in a broad range of Fisher and Fleetwood designs.
The Fisher-bodied all-weather phaeton offered here was first sold by Oliver Cadillac Company of St. Louis, Missouri, as noted on its build sheet that also confirms its original chassis, engine, and body numbers. The Cadillac was supplied in Thessalon Green, with the build sheet specifying that the radiator shell, front and rear lights and their supports, and the brackets and supports for the horn all be finished identically to match the coachwork!
The car appears to have remained in St. Louis, as it came into the hands of early enthusiast William K. Haverstick, who listed it in several rosters of the Antique Automobile Club of America. Haverstick was also active with it in early CCCA events, driving it in part of the Club’s fourth CARavan to the Gateway City in 1956. That spring, he wryly advertised it in The Classic Car as being in “perfect condition, 49,000 miles, runs like a ’55 model (that’s good?).”
The Cadillac then was part of the noted collection of the late Roy Warshawsky, founder of J.C. Whitney. One of the best-known American Classic enthusiasts from the 1960s through the early 1990s, Mr. Warshawsky was widely respected for the excellent quality and presentation of his automobiles, which he enjoyed showing all over the country. It is believed that the All-Weather Phaeton received its present restoration in his ownership, in the striking teal hue similar to the original color, with a rich dark green leather interior and tan cloth top. Subsequently, it was owned by Jerry Sauls and the Blackhawk Collection, before joining the owner’s stable some 20 years ago.
Well-preserved since its acquisition, this grand Cadillac would be ideal for freshening and touring, in superb 12-cylinder comfort.