$42,000 USD | Sold
| Amelia Island, Florida
- Formerly of the noted Wayne Davis Collection
- Upgraded with power steering, 12-volt electrics, and air-conditioning
- Meticulous body-on restoration to show-ready condition
After introducing the world to tailfins in 1948, Cadillac debuted an all-new modern overhead-valve V-8 in 1949. The 331-cubic-inch unit produced a robust 160 hp, quickly becoming a favorite of hot-rodders and customizers throughout the early 1950s. Motor Trend honored Cadillac with its first Car of the Year award in 1949, which helped Cadillac sell a record 92,554 cars.
The Sixty Special was first introduced to the Cadillac lineup in 1938 as a halo model and style leader for the luxury car maker. Fast-forward to 1949, when Cadillac sold 11,399 of the handsome sedans, nearly double that of the previous year. The Sixty Special retained its exclusive 133-inch wheelbase and was fitted with special trim to differentiate it from lesser Cadillac models.
This example was originally delivered to Edward B. Sr. and Kathleen Suddarth through California’s legendary Don Lee Cadillac. The Sixty Special was thoroughly restored in the late 1990s before joining the noted Wayne Davis Collection in 2012. Prior to Davis’s purchase, Tired Iron Works of Monrovia, California, refinished the car and installed several upgrades, including power steering, air-conditioning, and 12-volt electrics with its owner at the time spending some $35,000 to seamlessly integrate these features for added comfort and convenience when touring. The car was shown at the 2011 Winter Park Concours and received a Best in Class award facing considerable competition in a year when Cadillac was the featured marque.
During Davis’s ownership, the entire fuel system was rebuilt, including a correct fuel pump and new fuel lines installed, and the carburetor was rebuilt. Both owner’s manual and shop manual are included in the sale of this Cadillac that the consignor describes as “a wonderful car that is one of the nicest examples in the country.”