- Offered from a private collection
- One of five built to this design on DV-32 chassis
- Formerly of the Imperial Palace and Michael Calore collections
- Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) and Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) 100-point Senior First Prize winner
- CCCA Full Classic
- Simply put, one of the ultimate Stutzes of its era
THE ROLLSTON STUTZ
Many of the finest bespoke creations on Stutz chassis were produced by the Rollston Company of New York City, who, for three decades, was Manhattan’s most prestigious coachbuilder. Rollston produced an astonishingly diverse portfolio of work, encompassing everything from fleet roadsters to massive town cars, which were all distinguished by exceptional build quality and priced accordingly.
Rollston’s design no. 159, a convertible Victoria for the Stutz chassis, was drawn on 30 December 1930, as the rest of New York City likely prepared for the New Year, as is noted in a letter on file from Rollston heir Bill Creteur. This design had been originally developed in Europe in the early 1920s and then popularized in the U.S. by Waterhouse and, later, Rollston, who continued producing it after Waterhouse folded. The style was distinguished by a formal top with no rear quarter windows, providing a sheltered perch for rear-seat passengers when the top was raised. When lowered, however, the top would lie flat into a scooped “notch” behind the doors, giving the Rollston convertible Victoria a smooth, clean contour across the beltline. Long doors and a lowered windscreen served to accentuate the length and elegance of the design.
According to Creteur’s letter, five convertible Victorias were eventually built to this design on the ultimate Stutz DV-32 chassis. With its double-overhead-cam engine with hemispherical combustion chambers, it was capable of producing 156 hp.
CHASSIS NUMBER DV-PC-1452
Long known to Stutz enthusiasts as a genuine DV-32 example, this car was reportedly originally shipped to New York. In the early 1950s it was found in a parking garage in the Bronx, thought to have been left behind after its owner was killed in action during World War II. Acquired by Dr. Art Burrichter, it was eventually acquired by the famous Imperial Palace Auto Collections of Las Vegas and was exhibited in their museum, as well as featured as one of their finest cars in the book, A Century of Automotive Style by Henry Rasmussen.
Eventually the car was sold from the Imperial Palace to Michael Calore of Rhode Island, who began its restoration. Shortly thereafter it was acquired by the current owner, who continued the work at the hands of respected restorer, John Greenleif of Oxford, Maine. Mr. Greenleif researched the car’s history and painstakingly restored it to correct and original condition, in this striking color scheme of ivory with a bronze chassis and wheels, tan leather upholstery, and khaki soft top.
Following completion of the restoration in 2001, the car was exhibited in AACA National competition, securing a Senior First Prize in its division. It was also judged at a perfect 100 points in Classic Car Club of America judging at the 2008 New Hampshire Grand Classic, receiving its Senior badge no. 2636. The restoration is beautifully preserved and is ready for continued concours competition with a new owner.