Amelia Island

The Ritz-Carlton
10 March 2012
Lot 149

1952 Allard K2 Roadster

{{lr.item.text}}

$104,500 USD | Sold

United States | Amelia Island, Florida

{{internetCurrentBid}}

{{internetTimeLeft}}


Chassis No.
K2029
language
Addendum: Please note this title is in transit.

190 bhp, 331 cu. in. Cadillac overhead valve V-8 engine, three-speed manual transmission, coil spring split-beam axle independent front suspension, coil spring DeDion rear suspension, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 106"

• Archetypal Anglo-American sports racer

• One of only 119 built

• Powerful Cadillac motor

Sydney Allard was a stouthearted racing driver and car constructor who gained fame with his powerful Anglo-American hybrids, all of which were small English sports cars featuring Detroit horsepower under their bonnets. They fared well in competition as well, with a works J2 finishing third at Le Mans in 1950. The K2 was introduced the same year, succeeding the K-1. The suspension was revised, and the aluminum body was redesigned, adopting a smoother look with a Healey-inspired grille. Although normally built with Ford or Mercury flathead V-8s, K2s could be ordered to accept more powerful engines as well, usually installed to the customer order by the delivering dealer.

Chassis K2029 was ordered on January 26, 1951 by R/P Imported Motor Car Company of New York, a company set up by Major Richard Seddon and Perry Fina on the city’s west side to import Allards into the United States. It was here that most US-bound Allards received their engines and were either sold by Major Seddon or sent on to dealers, like the legendary Max Hoffman. Set up to receive a Cadillac OHV engine, K2029 was designated to have DeDion rear suspension with a 3.54:1 axle ratio. A left-hand drive car, it was originally specified to be white with a black leather interior and black wire wheels. On March 19th the order was amended to change the color to bronze and the interior and wheels to red.

The car was reportedly found in long-term storage in the late 1980s. Sold to the present owner in the early 1990s as a work in progress, it was repainted in red and a new tan leather interior installed. At that time, the seat was lowered and moved back to improve ergonomics. The odometer showed just 26,000 miles. At fewer than 29,000 miles today, the car is fresh and exciting. The paint and upholstery remain excellent. The K2’s distinctive side-mount spare tires give the car a rakish look, and the four-barrel Cadillac V-8 makes it perform spiritedly. The Allard K2 was a rare commodity when new, and no less so today. With just 119 built, these cars become available quite infrequently.