$66,000 USD | Sold
| Auburn, Indiana
- 292 cu. in. V-12 engine
- One of 1,256 coupes from 1940
- Well-preserved older restoration
- America’s first successful streamlined car
When introduced in 1936, the all-new Lincoln-Zephyr saved the company from certain extinction. Envisioned by Edsel Ford and his lead designer, Eugene T. “Bob” Gregorie, the Zephyr provided Lincoln with a mid-market luxury car to compete with the likes of LaSalle and Packard’s 120. The costly coachbuilt Model K was nearing the end of its lifespan, and with fewer buyers opting for these large and expensive cars, Lincoln needed a series production car that could offer similar levels of prestige at a more affordable price. The gorgeous, streamlined Zephyr delivered just that, thanks to the use of a V-12 engine.
This desirable 1940 Lincoln-Zephyr Coupe presents in fine order, wearing a well-preserved, older restoration. The handsome color scheme of Coach Maroon over a matching maroon broadcloth interior suits the curves and details of the bodywork. The flowing, streamlined body is in fine order, the exterior brightwork displaying a warm luster. Inside, maroon fabric covers the seats and panels and is accented with period-correct optional gold-plated trim in place of the usual chrome. With its V-12 power and sublime, futuristic styling, Lincoln-Zephyr Coupes were quite popular in hot rod and “kustom” car culture, and as a result, few uncut cars survive. This attractive, well-restored example is wonderfully suited to enjoyment in club events and for touring and would make a welcome addition to any collection of significant Art Deco automobiles.