The Ed Meurer Collection
$160,000 USD | Sold
| Auburn, Indiana
- Stunning one-off coachwork by Rollston
- Purchased new by Augustus Schell Hutchins
- Single-family ownership from 1935 to 1959
- Recently repainted and beautifully presented
- CCCA Full Classic
Over thirty-five thousand Packard Twelves were produced from 1933 to 1939; it is considered by many to be one of the finest automobiles produced by Packard and one of the most significant creations of the classic car era. The long and flowing front hood hid a 473-cubic-inch side-valve twelve-cylinder engine that was refined, powerful, smooth, and quiet.
The engine was originally destined for a front-wheel-drive project which eventually proved to have weaknesses. That and the anticipated development cost were too much to be practical, so Packard decided to scrap the idea. Cadillac had introduced their 16-cylinder engine, and other marques such as Pierce-Arrow were improving the performance of their offerings. Packard was feeling the pressure and decided to place the engine into the Deluxe Eight chassis and dubbed it the Twin Six. The name was in honor of Packard’s achievement fifteen years earlier when they introduced their first 12-cylinder engine. By 1933 the name was changed to Twelve to be consistent with the nomenclature used on other Packard models.
The convertible sedan offered here is a superb example of the breed, built on the 144-inch wheelbase 1208-series twelve-cylinder chassis. The 473-cubic-inch twelve-cylinder featured Stromberg carburetors and produced 175 horsepower, a huge number for the day. This car is believed to be a one-off body built by Rollston at a price tag of roughly $7,500. It is no wonder that only the wealthiest and most influential families could afford such a machine. It is said that this example was built for Augustus Schell Hutchins, a lawyer and the son of Waldo Hutchins, a long-serving member on New York City’s Central Park Board of Commissioners. It’s believed to have remained in the family until 1959 and was later purchased by one of the early presidents of the CCCA. Fully restored in 1967, the car earned its CCCA Senior badge in 1968 and still wears that badge to this day. Purchased by Ed Meurer in 1972, the car has recently been fully repainted and was displayed at the 2018 Concours d’Elegance of America at St. John’s.
An inimitable automobile, with rarity, exclusivity, and superb performance, it is ideal for showing or touring and is a CCCA Full Classic. It is worthy of inclusion in any of the world’s finest Packard, Full Classic, or pre-war automobile collections.