Lot Number
19

1921 Th. Schneider 4½-Litre Tourer by Domain

Sold For €61.600

Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.

RM | Sotheby's - PARIS 2014


Chassis No.
Engine No.
21.20.1-28
28
  • Original Domain coachwork
  • Matching-numbers car
  • Long-time ownership

4,480 cc six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual gearbox, solid front axle and live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and two-wheel mechanical brakes. Wheelbase: 3,505 mm

On 4 July 1925, Australia’s Sydney Morning Herald captioned a photograph of “Mr A.H. Barnes, a Sydney motorist, and the Th. Schneider car in which he lowered the Adelaide to Melbourne record. The time was 12 hours 10 minutes for 573 miles.”

It was a remarkable achievement in 1925. Australia’s Great South Road (now the Hume Highway), which was a main thoroughfare since 1814, linked the two cities and was not fully paved until the 1940s. Prior to the mid-1930s, it was a popular venue for unauthorised speed trials.

Théophile Schneider entered the French motor industry early, teaming with Édouard Rochet to build the Rochet-Schneider automobile at Lyon in 1894. Schneider, however, moved on in 1910, to a factory at Besançon, where he entered automobile manufacture on his own. His first car was a 1,850-cubic centimetre, four-cylinder model with a radiator behind the bonnet, which was a style that would become familiar on Renaults. Under the badge of Th. Schneider, they entered numerous races in the 1912 to 1914 period, with the best success being a 2nd place finish in the Grand Prix de France.

The firm resumed auto manufacture after the war and transitioned to stylish vee-shaped front-mounted radiators. The 4½ litre six, of which this car is an excellent example, was built through 1924.

Just three 6-cylinder Th. Schneider cars were imported into Australia. At £1,950 in chassis form, they were nearly twice as expensive as the 4½-Litre Bentley. Two of them were bodied by Domain coachworks of Melbourne, as the Adelaide to Melbourne Speed car was, and this is clearly one of the two, as it still bears the Domain signature on its sill plates. According to the consignor, it is strongly believed to be the speed record car mentioned. It was fully restored in the late 1960s, and it has only been in two long-term ownerships since. The last long-term custodian has owned the car since the early 1990s, and he commissioned a major engine rebuild in 2012.

The car is original in virtually all respects and has matching numbers. It is ready to be enjoyed, as only a modest re-commissioning is needed before returning it to the road and long-distance rallying. Surviving six-cylinder Th. Schneider cars are rare, and it is believed that this is the only running example with its original body. Compared to its rivals, such as the Vauxhall 30-98 or the 4½-Litre Bentley, this 1921 Th. Schneider represents superb value in today’s marketplace.


Moteur six cylindres, 4 480 cm3, boîte manuelle à quatre rapports, essieu avant et pont arrière rigides sur ressorts semi-elliptiques, freins à commande mécanique sur deux roues. Empattement: 3 505 mm

  • Carrosserie d’origine
  • Numéros concordants
  • Conservée longtemps par le même propriétaire

Le 4 juillet 1925, le journal australien Sydney Morning Herald publia une photo légendée « M. A. H. Barnes, automobiliste de Sydney et la Th. Schenider avec laquelle il vient de battre le record entre Adelaide et Melbourne. Son temps a été de 12 heures 10 minutes pour 573 miles (922 km) ».

C’était un exploit remarquable en 1925. La Great South Road australienne (aujourd’hui la Hume Highway), itinéraire important depuis 1814, qui reliait les deux villes, ne reçut un revêtement en dur que dans les années 1940. Avant le milieu des années 1930, c’était une route idéale pour y pratiquer des essais de vitesse illégaux.

Théophile Schneider débuta très tôt dans l’industrie automobile associé à Edouard Rochet dans la construction de la première Rochet-Schneider à Lyon en 1894. Schneider se transféra en 1910 à Besançon où il fonda sa propre marque d’automobiles. Son premier type fut une quatre-cylindres de 1 850 cm3 dont le radiateur était placé en arrière du capot selon la configuration bien connue des Renault. Sous la marque Th. Schneider, ces voitures participèrent à de nombreuses épreuves de 1912 à 1914. Leur meilleur résultat fut une deuxième place au GP de France 1912.

La firme reprit la production automobile après la Grande Guerre en adoptant des radiateurs en V à l’avant. La six-cylindres de 4,5 litres, dont la voiture présentée est un bel exemple, fut produite jusqu’en 1924.

Trois six-cylindres Th. Schenider seulement furent importées en Australie. Au prix de 1 950 livres en châssis nu, elles coûtaient presque deux fois plus cher qu’une Bentley 4½-Litre. Deux d’entre elles furent habillées par Domain, carrossier à Melbourne. Il s’agit d’une de ces deux voitures car elle porte toujours la signature de Domain sur les plaques de seuil. D’après le vendeur, il y a de fortes présomptions qu’il s’agisse de la voiture du record. Sa mise en vente met un terme à une longue période de présence dans la même collection avec deux propriétaires seulement depuis les années 1960. La voiture a été totalement restaurée à la fin de cette décennie. Le vendeur actuel qui acheta la voiture au début des années 1990 fit restaurer le moteur en 2010.

La voiture est d’origine pratiquement sur tous les points et ses numéros concordent. Elle est prête à prendre la route après une petite révision d’usage. Les six-cylindres Th. Schneider survivantes sont rares et il est à peu près certain que l’on soit en présence de la seule voiture fonctionnelle portant sa carrosserie d’origine. Comparée à ses rivales, la Vauxhall 30-98 ou la Bentley 4½-Litre, cette Th. Schneider 1921 représente actuellement un excellent investissement sur le marché de la collection.


Addendum

Please note that this car is EC taxes paid contrary to what is stated in the catalogue.


Suggested lots

17 - 18 January 2019

Arizona

Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona

RM | SOTHEBY'S

6 February 2019

Paris

Place Vauban, Paris, France

RM | SOTHEBY'S