1952 Lancia Aurelia B20 GT Series II
Sold For £161,000Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.
Documents: UK V5
- Continuous ownership history from new, including a single ownership from 1974 to 2016
- Judged ‘Best Aurelia’ at the Lancia Motor Club’s Aurelia 50th Anniversary Concours in 2000
- Featured in the book Lancia Aurelia in Detail by Niels Jonassen
- Fitted with original period accessories, Nardi steering wheel, floor change, Condor radio and Borrani Turbo alloy wheels
- Just 94,405 km from new
The Lancia Aurelia was an immediate success following its introduction in 1950. With an elegant design penned by the legendary Vittorio Jano, father of the exalted Alfa Romeo P2 and P3 Grand Prix cars, the B20 GT coupé featured a four-speed rear transaxle and fully independent front and rear suspension, enabling the driver to effectively use the 118 bhp provided by the 2,451-cc V-6 engine. This surprisingly potent car proved an instant race winner, with a 2nd place finish at the storied 1951 Mille Miglia and a class win at Le Mans that same year. Nineteen fifty-two and 1953 saw victories at the treacherous Targo Florio and in the Liège-Rome-Liège rally, respectively. These triumphant performances made certain that the Lancia Aurelia B20 GT coupé would be remembered as a 1950s racing icon and, consequently, is very desirable today.
The car offered here, chassis number B20 1833, was completed on 30 July 1952. It was first registered in Milan, as shown by the original Italian registration, which documents its ownership history through 1963. It was then taken off the road for approximately 11 years before being purchased by Peter Agg of Trojan Cars. After successfully importing the car to the UK, it was registered as WYM 493M on 5 June 1974. The car’s next owner then purchased the car at auction at Alexandra Palace on 7 June 1974, retaining the car until 2016.
The car received a full mechanical overhaul in April 1975. The work was completed using NOS parts sourced through the Lancia Motor Club and the Lancia Parts Consortium of America. After completing the work, the car then covered approximately 5,000 km before undergoing additional mechanical and cosmetic work in 1986, 1988 and 2008, and a registration change to 150 GXG in 2004. This Aurelia has always been exceptionally well maintained, with an extensive and carefully documented service history. However, more remarkably still, the car retains its original major mechanical components, glass, body panels and floor coverings. The car comes with an extensive history file, including its original Italian title and number plates. Every invoice for work from 1975 to the present day is included in the file, including the 1975 auction catalogue and even the previous owner’s bidder paddle.
Chassis number B20 1833 has been recently serviced and features rare period accessories, including the Nardi wood rim steering wheel, Condor radio, Nardi gearchange and Borrani Turbo alloy rim wheels. Jack, wheel brace, starting handle, tool kit, driver’s handbook and parts books are all included with the sale.