1916 White Model Forty-Five G.E.D. Touring
Sold For $36,300Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.
RM | Auctions - HERSHEY 8 - 9 OCTOBER 2015 - The Richard Roy Estate
- Offered from the Richard Roy Estate
- Part of the Roy Collection for over 25 years
- Wonderfully original Nickel Era tourer
- Impressive size and presence!
The White Company, of Cleveland, Ohio, is most well known for its highly regarded and innovative steam-powered automobiles, one of which was the first White House limousine. However, the company had discontinued its steam cars by 1911, as it had become clear that the internal-combustion engine was the way of the future. From this point forward, White automobiles would use reliable four-cylinder engines based upon the French Delahaye design. While rather conservative in design, the automobiles were incredibly solidly built and impressive in stature, with lines reminiscent of the large “roi des Belges” mounted to White steamers.
The 1916 Model Forty-Five G.E.D. Touring offered here was formerly owned by Moulton deWalt, of Crestline, Ohio, who maintained it for some 40 years. In 1988, he donated it to the Buckeye-Keystone Region of the Veteran Motor Car Club of America, which accepted sealed bids on the car through an advertisement in Hemmings Motor News. Richard Roy won that auction, reportedly with a bid of $16 over the runner-up. The car traveled to its new home in Branchville, New Jersey, and has been part of the Roy garage ever since.
A copy of the Hemmings advertisement, which is on file, indicates that Mr. deWalt had repainted and reupholstered the car “many years ago.” Today, both the body and interior bear a healthy patina and look charmingly original, not worn, and the front seats are partially protected by canvas summer covers. Much of the original trim is still present throughout, including the original gauges, sill plates, and serial number tag. When acquired, the car was described as being “in good running condition,” and while it will need some mechanical work to restore it to that condition, the opportunity to do so is rich given how well preserved the car is. It is accompanied by a 1916 White instruction book, with a stamp inside the front cover identifying it as having been property of the Editorial Department of Motor Age, the famous American automotive journal of the era. In addition, it still has its original side curtains, which are still in the boxes in which they were sent from Crestline.
Ideal for preparation and touring, or as the best possible basis for restoration, this handsome White is a fine survivor of one of Cleveland’s finest and best-built automobiles.