$49,500 USD | Sold
| Hershey, Pennsylvania
112 hp, 226 cu. in. “Thunderhead” L-head Continental six-cylinder engine, three-speed manual transmission, independent front coil spring and semi-elliptic rear leaf spring suspension, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 123.5 in.
• Painstakingly restored by Tom Zitkus, of TZ Restorations
• Reportedly the lone Manhattan Sedan produced by K-F for 1950
• AACA Senior Award 2001 and Grand National Award 2004 winner
The Kaiser was sponsored by millionaire shipbuilder Henry J. Kaiser and Joseph Frazer, of Graham-Paige. Frazer had the reputation of being a super-salesman, while Kaiser was well-financed. Production of cars began in late-1946 in the huge Willow Run, Michigan plant, where Ford built B-24 bombers during WWII. The company merged with Willys Motors in 1953 and, despite trying hard to do so, it never produced a winning seller, ceasing automobile production in 1955.
Frazers were the upscale members of the K-F duo, offered in both Standard and high-level Manhattan trim. All models included a 226-cubic inch Continental L-head six-cylinder engine rated at 112 horsepower. While Kaiser built a Virginian four-door hardtop in 1949 and 1950, this is the only Frazer Manhattan sedan known to have been produced. Matching serial numbers on both the door post and firewall tag confirm that it was factory-produced, and it has been in the possession of the current owner’s family since 1957. Over $100,000 was spent on the restoration prior to receiving its AACA Senior Award in 2001 and its AACA Grand National Award in 2004.
An article featuring the unique car was included in the May–June 2002 issue of Antique Automobile. Since then, it has been used sparingly and carefully stored prior to being offered for sale. Painted a handsome light green with matching leather and vinyl interior and a complementary medium green nylon roof, it was painstakingly restored by Tom Zitkus, of TZ Restorations of New Ringgold, Pennsylvania, beginning in 1998, after 38 years in storage! The comprehensive two-year frame-off restoration included everything from the radiator to the gas tank, as well as the remanufacturing of the motor, which was painted its Frazer apple green. The chassis and under-hood areas are as expertly restored as the exterior of this remarkable car.