1938 Packard Twelve All-Weather Collapsible Cabriolet by Brunn
Sold For $137,500Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.
65 hp, 221 cu. in. L-head inline four-cylinder engine, three-speed sliding gear transmission, front and rear transverse leaf spring suspension with ¾-floating rear axle, and four wheel mechanical rod-actuated brakes. Wheelbase: 106 in.
• Two-time Dearborn Award-winner at National Early Ford V-8 Club meets
• Carefully stored and sparingly used since restoration in 2001
• Numbers-matching example
Ford introduced the Model A in 1928. In an attempt to upstage rival Chevrolet’s six-cylinder, it introduced its first V-8 on March 31, 1932. The engine was developed in near total secrecy by Carl Schultz and Ray Laird in a hidden laboratory in Greenfield Village, beginning in the spring of 1930. The cast iron V-8, later nicknamed the “flathead,” was a tremendous value for the money, and it continued to power Fords for the next 21 years.
Amazingly, a standard roadster could be purchased for as little as $460, while the DeLuxe model was just $40 more. In 1932, Ford produced 6,893 DeLuxe roadsters, including this jaunty example painted Old Chester Gray with Tunis Gray belting, highlighted by yellow wheels and pinstriping. It is equipped with the optional trunk rack and dual side-mount spare tires. A set of tools is included with the purchase of the car and a new battery has been fitted.
Its most recent restoration began while under the ownership of Ferdinand Lupien, of Quebec, Canada. The chassis, engine, and transmission numbers all match, as does the date stamp on the engine block. The restoration was completed after the car was purchased by David Smith, of Vermont, who did the work himself, completing the car in 2001. The vehicle has always been, and continues to be, garage-kept, compiling few miles since restoration. Furthermore, it has always been trailered to and from events. The quality of Smith’s work was validated when it was honored with Dearborn Awards at two National Early Ford V-8 Meets. The first was at Frederick, Maryland, in 2004, where it received 984 out of 1,000 points, and later in Hiawasse, Georgia, in 2005, where it received 992 points out of 1,000. The current owner, a well-known collector, purchased the car in 2006, using it sparingly and continuing to carefully maintain the restoration.