1917 Chandler Type 17 Seven-Passenger Touring
Sold For $17,050Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.
RM | Auctions - HERSHEY 6 - 7 OCTOBER 2011 - From The Nethercutt Collection
Series 25. 29.4 rated hp, 288.6 cu. in. inline L-head six-cylinder engine, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle and live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and two-wheel mechanical brakes. Wheelbase: 123"
- Offered from the Nethercutt Collection
- Rare Series 25 Chandler
- Older restoration of an ideal vintage touring car
From the beginning an adherent to six-cylinder power, the Chandler Motor Car Company was organized in Cleveland, Ohio in 1913. Its founder, Frederic C. Chandler, had worked for Lozier and brought with him four other Lozier employees. Successful from the start, the Chandler became, according to historian Beverly Rae Kimes, “among the most highly-regarded medium-priced automobiles in America.”
Lozier chief engineer John Perrin had declined to join the exodus, so his understudy, John V. Whitbeck, took charge of designing the new car. The 268.3 cubic inch L-head six was cast in pairs of three, with integral cylinder heads and fully-enclosed valve trains. All ancillaries were driven by “imported silent chains.” The cast aluminum crankcase was massive but light, so much so that you could “put it under your arm and walk away with it,” according to company ads. Chandler’s feats were distinguished; a 1915 Chandler made a 2,000-mile trek from Mexico to British Columbia without stopping, and in 1923 Ralph Mulford won the “Climb to the Clouds” hill climb at Mt. Washington, New Hampshire in one.
As 1917 turned to 1918, Whitbeck increased the bore of the engine by an eighth of an inch for the Series 25. Otherwise, the “Marvelous Motor” remained the same. The company admonished customers and service people not to “specify ‘yearly models’ as Chandler does not build them.” The Nethercutt Collection purchased this Chandler, titled for 1917, from Rodney Flournoy of Modoc, California in 1994. Previous owners have included Ernest Ongaro of Sebastopol and Lester Andrews of Los Altos, both in California. It is an older restoration, with blue body, black fenders and hood. It has a black top and the interior is done in black leather.
Although Chandler sold some 10,000 cars a year during this period, they have become quite scarce over the years. This car represents an uncommon chance to acquire one. Roomy and powerful, it would be ideal for vintage touring.