1961 Taylor-Dunn Trident
Sold For $29,900Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.
Manufacturer: Taylor-Dunn Manufacturing Co.
Origin: Anaheim, California, U.S.A.
Motor: NEMA DC electric
Power: 1 hp
Length: 7 ft.
Identification No. 651461
The Taylor-Dunn was an electric runabout in the classic West Coast idiom. The company was founded in 1949 by a Southern California farmer named R.D. Taylor Sr., who built handcarts for carrying feed on his chicken ranch in Anaheim. Notably, even today, it is still the company’s home. Taylor decided to expand his business by selling equipment to fellow farmers. As the carts got heavier, his customers asked for a motorized version. Production of the first electric truck began in 1951, and it was tested on his own chicken ranch. Manufacturing and sales of the little trucks to other farmers and ranchers provided a worthwhile income, and it soon became the core of a successful business.
Fred A. Dunn joined the business in 1951, and four years later, it was renamed the Taylor-Dunn Manufacturing Company. In June of 1955, the new company introduced its Model PG, a three-wheeled, 24-volt electric car, for doing neighbourhood shopping runs. It had headlamps and taillights, and used tiller steering. The year 1959 brought the Model R Trident shopping car, again with full “road” equipment. It was produced until 1963. Interestingly, Taylor-Dunn continues to manufacture carts for industry, from ground support vehicles, to stock chasers and dump trucks. This gorgeous example has been fastidiously restored. The lines that form the distinctive and personable eyebrows over the headlights extend all the way to the rear of the body, while the roofline and the top of the curved windshield meet almost seamlessly, creating a very sharp and futuristic overall presentation.
Please note that this vehicle is offered on a bill of sale only.