A very original example with the highest spec four-stroke motor.
Manufacturer: Lloyd Motorenwerke GmbH
Origin: Bremen, Germany
Motor: Borgward 2-cyl., 4-stroke
Displacement: 596 cc
Power: 19 hp
Length: 11 ft.
Identification No. 6-345879
The big news for 1955 was Lloyd’s introduction of the LP 600 with a new, four-stroke motor that would bring more torque and a higher top speed, along with generally more civilized running, which was definitely an issue with a newly status-conscious demographic. Externally, it closely resembled the 400, apart from long, stylish blinkers placed atop the fenders. A new Lloyd 600 script on the rear showed other drivers that this car could finally hit 100 km/h. The model ran for two concurrent years with the still-popular 400.
A brief foray into ultra-economical motoring was the LP 250, which catered to a new licensing scheme. The 400 motor was drastically reduced in displacement and put into a sedan, which was delivered without a back seat, bumpers, trim, hubcaps, rubber mats, and a headliner; few were sold. During the second half of 1957, production of the 250, 400, and 600 was stopped. The LS 600 was reborn as the Standard, without the fender-top blinkers and at a reduced price. The altogether more civilized, new LS 600 Alexander featured roll-up side windows, adjustable seatbacks, and finally a trunk lid. A four-speed synchromesh transmission was optional at first but standard from 1958 on. This is an unmolested example finished in a lovely shade of blue, and it sports an untouched, original interior. Its original white wheels are shod with the blackwall tires more common to the period, and they are rounded out by hubcaps and brightwork exhibiting healthy patina.