$41,250 USD | Sold
| Amelia Island, Florida
Nine hp horizontal single-cylinder engine, two-speed planetary gear transmission, semi-elliptic front suspension with full-elliptic rear suspension, and mechanical rear-wheel brakes. Wheelbase: 90"
• 1999 AACA Senior National Award winner
• Ex-John McMullen Collection
• Mechanically re-commissioned
Despite founding Olds Motor Vehicle Company in 1897, myriad factors precipitated Ransom E. Olds’ resignation a few short years later in 1903. Choosing to start fresh, Mr. Olds used his initials (R.E.O.) to found the REO Motor Car Company. Production started in 1904, and passenger cars were abandoned in 1936 to concentrate solely on trucks.
This 1914 Reo Depot Truck was acquired by the respected Michigan collector John McMullen shortly after earning its AACA Senior National badge in 1999. Despite being a static display vehicle in Mr. McMullen’s care, it has been re-commissioned under the current owner, who acquired the truck in 2007.
A stout vehicle, the REO has a maximum capacity of 1,500 pounds, rides on a 90-inch wheelbase with a semi-elliptic front suspension, a full-elliptic rear suspension and rear-wheel mechanical brakes. The single-cylinder, nine-hp engine laid horizontally under the seat is water-cooled with a tubular radiator mounted up front. The drivetrain comprises a double chain and a two-speed planetary transmission with a multi-disc clutch. For ease of operation, the REO was carefully upgraded with a starter/generator unit with a wet-cell battery and the starter driving a flywheel-mounted belt at the touch of a button. Once the engine has started, the battery begins charging as the vehicle is driven. None of the aforementioned modifications are permanent.
The cosmetic condition of the REO remains very presentable; the painted red chassis contrasts nicely with the well-crafted oak rear section and the green painted engine compartment. With room for up to six passengers, this REO is sure to be a crowd-pleaser, perfect for a weekend parade.