- An original, genuine factory-supercharged example; known history since 1949
- Superbly presented older restoration in Rich Maroon over Tan
- 190-hp, 288.6-cu. in. supercharged V-8 engine and four-speed pre-selector manual transmission
- Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) Full Classic
- Auburn Cord Duesenberg (ACD) Certified Category 1 (C-214)
History of this exceptional 812 phaeton is known back to 1949, when Harry and Venora Himebaugh of San Antonio acquired the Cord from another local resident, Bill B. Hopson. It later passed in 1949 to Arnold G. Barker Jr., of Monroe, Louisiana, who kept it and drove it for several years during his time in the U.S. Army, as noted in several surviving period registrations. Mr. Barker eventually wound up with the car in Florida, where it was stored for 29 years. In 1979 the Cord was sold to T.E. Reed, owner of Reed’s Museum of Automobiles, a roadside attraction in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Later owners were Steve Hamilton and Dave Rowland, both of Tennessee.
In 2003 the car was fully restored for longtime caretaker Tim Whited by Cole’s Classics & Antique Autos of Nederland, Colorado, in the original factory color scheme of Rich Maroon over tan, with a tan top, and with considerable attention to detail and accuracy. As confirmed by the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club’s Certification program, the car is a genuine original supercharged example, though it is believed the current engine is a “factory” replacement unit fitted by the ACD Company of Auburn early in the car’s life; this is noted as such in Josh B. Malks’ standard reference on these cars, Cord Complete. It has been well preserved by its owners since restoration and remains an excellent example, beautifully presented in every detail.
There are few more evocative driving experiences of the Classic Era than the potency of a supercharged Cord. This phaeton clearly demonstrates why.