- Delivered new to the U.S.
- Restored in the early 1990s
- Retains its original engine block
Jaguar caused a sensation when it showed its first post-war, two-seat open roadster at the Earl’s Court Motor Show in 1948 Despite the prototype chassis being predominately intended as a test bed for the new XK engine, it was swiftly put into production to capitalise on the interest it had garnered. Almost entirely unchanged, the production variant came to the market in the same year as the Jaguar XK 120, with the “120” referring to its top speed.
According to a Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust certificate on file, this XK 120 was produced in November of 1953 finished in Pastel Green over a Suede Green interior. Dispatched from the factory one month later, the car was shipped new to Charles Hornburg’s Jaguar distributorship in Los Angeles, California.
The XK 120 remained in the U.S. until 1992, when it was purchased by previous owner and shipped to Portugal. There, it was the subject of a comprehensive restoration, during which the body was removed from the chassis and the car rebuilt. Detailed documentation of the work that was carried out is present in the very impressive history file,which includes a Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust certificate, a FIVA identity card, and a copy of Volante magazine from July 1992 that describes the car’s history and testifies to the quality of the restoration. At the same time, factory correct centre-lock wire wheels were fitted in place of the steel originals. It was subsequently exported from Portugal to Greece in 2017 and acquired by its current owner. It presents in fine condition both inside and out and benefits from recent fettling that included the overhauling of the brakes and carburettors, a new fuel pump and fluids renewal.
A beautiful, era defining, classic sportscar, powered by one of the finest engines of the 20th century.