1935 Cadillac V-8 Convertible Coupe by Fisher
Sold For $143,000Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.
- Elegant coachwork on the 136-inch-wheelbase Series 20 chassis
- One of fewer than ten surviving examples
- Formerly owned by Tenny Natkin, David Kane, and Steve Plunkett
- Older Classic Car Club of America Senior Premier winner
- Ideal for vintage touring and CCCA CARavans
- Please note that this lot will need to be collected from Blenheim, Ontario, Canada
Already known worldwide for their exceptional engineering and superb build quality, Cadillac stepped into the world of aeronautic-inspired design soon after the stock market crash of 1929.
By 1935, when the car offered here was built, Cadillac was producing some of the finest streamlined luxury cars ever built. With an eye for detail, they managed to improve performance, reduce wind and road noise, and give their cars a timeless look by concealing many of the car’s external features within the bodywork itself. In addition, both the radiator and windshield were set at a decided rake, giving the car the appearance of travelling at great speed even while at rest. Clearly, the designers at Cadillac knew how to make the most of every line, every detail, and the 355D convertible coupe on the 136-inch-wheelbase Series 20 chassis could easily be considered one of their finest accomplishments of the pre-war era.
One of fewer than ten remaining extant, the example offered here was originally delivered in Cleveland, finished in “P.S. Pearlite to Match Shadow Metallic,” and equipped with dual side-mounted spares and whitewall tires. It was formerly owned for many years by the longtime Classic Car Club of America member, Tenny Natkin, who later sold it to respected collector and enthusiast, David Kane of New Jersey.
Mr. Kane researched the car and was able to identify it as a 1935 model, although at some previous point it had been fitted with the more attractive 1934 ‘biplane’ bumpers. He later sold the car to a longtime friend, after which it passed into the hands of noted Cadillac historian and collector, Steve Plunkett, in 2008. Mr. Plunkett kept the car for a decade, meticulously sorting it mechanically, including rebuilding many of the ancillary components and installing carefully concealed turn signals, as well as a Pertronix electronic ignition. While an older restoration, the car is still extremely attractive and, as is typical of a car with this illustrious ownership history, very well-maintained mechanically and an ideal tour or CARavan automobile.
This is a superb V-8 Cadillac, with exceptional proportions, graceful lines, and stirring performance.