1950 Bond Minicar Mk A
Sold For $10,350Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.
Manufacturer: Sharp’s Commercials
Origin: Preston, Lancashire, England
Motor: Villiers 1-cyl., 2-stroke
Displacement: 197 cc
Power: 8 hp
Length: 8 ft. 8 in.
Identification No. A12347
Lawrie Bond built a prototype shopping car that bridged the gap between motorcycle and small car, combining the advantages of both. It could be operated at an absolute minimum of running cost, and the purchase price was kept low by its simplicity of construction as a monocoque. An agreement with Sharp’s Commercials provided much-needed production facilities, and the car-building began in early-1949.
Early Bond Minicars (the Mark A designation would come later) were stark, primitive vehicles with the 122-cubic centimeter, 5 horsepower Villiers motor mounted over the front wheels. There was no rear suspension at all, some springing effect coming from the recommended 10 psi tire pressures. The windshield was Plexiglas. Steering, which came from the front wheels, was originally by wire and bobbin, but it was soon replaced by a rack-and-pinion. It was seen that the cars were being used on longer trips, and after only 25 examples were built, a 197-cubic centimer Villiers motor became available on the Deluxe version. There were four colors originally available, including Maroon with a red top, seat, and sidescreens; Honey with red trim; Green with green trim; and Pearl Grey with blue trim. Presented here in bare aluminum and with its original top, this example is ready to be finished one of the four colors offered by the factory, or left in its unliveried splendor.