1964 Goggomobil TS400 Coupe
Sold For $27,500Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.
20 hp, 395 cc two-stroke, inline two-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, hydraulic brakes, independent front and rear suspension with coil springs and swing axles. Wheelbase: tiny
• Formerly in the Bruce Weiner Collection
• High-point restoration completed in 2011
• One of four known to exist with manual shift transmission
• 2011 Hilton Head Island Concours Palmetto Award winner
Hans Glas entered the motor vehicle field in 1951 with the Goggo motor scooter. Glas quickly realized, however, that the demand for inexpensive cars in the new Federal Republic of Germany would be enormous. His production capacity enabled him to supply upwards of 200,000 cars. His most successful model was the Goggomobil introduced in 1955, a small saloon with a two-cylinder two-stroke engine. Three displacements were available: 247, 296 and 395 cc. By 1958, a front-mounted four-stroke twin of 548 cc and 700 cc was adopted. Most attractive was the stylish coupe which outlived all other models of the Goggomobil. When production ceased in June 1969, 280,739 had been built, including 66,511 coupes with engines of varying capacity. From 1962 to 1966, a Spanish factory, Munguia Industrial SA of Bilbao, built Goggomobil cars and vans. Spanish versions were different from those produced in Germany. About 5,000 vehicles were produced in Spain.
As tastes and economic times changed, Germans could afford larger and more lavishly equipped automobiles, and the Goggomobil found itself without a market; with just 1.5 percent of the West German market, Glas could not compete with more established marques. Hans Glas was forced to sell his company to BMW in 1966. The Dingolfing factory would go on to become one of BMW’s most important and largest manufacturing facilities.
Once part of the esteemed microcar collection of Bruce Weiner, this delightful microcar has been freshly restored in 2011 to show quality. The work was performed by renowned microcar restorer Larry Newberry at Microcarlot. The car was restored from top to bottom, including a mechanical overhaul, new chrome and new whitewall tires. Painted black with a red vinyl interior, it is one of four known to exist with manual shift transmission. As the recipient of a Palmetto Award at the 2011 Hilton Head Island Concours, it is sure to make a ‘big’ impression.