Lot 341

Monaco 2012

1954 Maserati 250F by Cameron Millar


€540,000 - €620,000 EUR | Not Sold

Monaco | Monaco, Monaco



Chassis No.
Engine No.

Est. 270 bhp at 8,000 rpm, 2,491 cc DOHC six-cylinder, 5-speed manual gearbox, independent front suspension with coil springs, De Dion rear axle with transverse leaf spring, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 2,880 mm (113”)

• Exacting recreation by Maserati expert Cameron Millar

• Utilising numerous original parts, including the engine of the ex-Fangio/Ascari #2505

• Superb historic Grand Prix entry

The Maserati 250F is unique among Grand Prix cars, as it has longevity that has spanned seven years of racing and claimed association with a lengthy list of racing greats, including Juan Manuel Fangio, Stirling Moss, Alberto Ascari, Peter Collins, Mike Hawthorn and many more. The 250F was crucially important in carrying Juan Manuel Fangio to two of his five World Championship-winning seasons, in 1954 and 1957.

With Fangio driving, Maserati won the first two championship races of the new 2.5-litre formula in 1954. The factory then resumed its program of selling cars to privateers and offering them full support. An equally impressive list of customers began to take shape. Prince Bira, Harry Schell, Roy Salvadori, Toulo de Graffenried and others took delivery and began winning at both national and international levels.

The 250F was awarded legendary status following its success on the circuit and was considered to be one of the greatest and most beautiful single seater Grand Prix racing cars to have ever been built, with its fine handling and powerful six cylinder engine; a competitive car, even today in historic Grand Prix car events. In addition, the pure aerodynamic shape is one of the finest designs to have been constructed on a racing car chassis, and it remains a ‘50s icon that is highly desirable among collectors.

Squadron leader Cameron Millar was an avid fan of the model and a highly competent engineer who acquired his first Maserati 250F in 1964. This was the start of his life-long love affair that would later result in a small batch of exact replica’s hand built by him, which are widely recognised as the nearest recreation of the original 250F that money could buy.

Millar became a recognised authority on the 250F and is understood to have purchased all the remaining cars and parts from the Scuderia Centro Sud, who had campaigned the cars in period. In addition, he was able to acquire the chassis jigs from the factory that put him in pole position for crafting a second series of cars made as per the original factory production.

These Cameron Millar cars were so exacting in their detail that the FIA granted them eligibility to race alongside the original cars and contemporary machines in competitive historic racing events. In fact, the CM 250Fs attracted huge interest from prominent members of the racing world, and even the great Juan Manuel Fangio himself acquired chassis CM3 to display at his museum in Argentina.

Millar began building the limited series of CM cars from 1972 through to 1996, and the early cars were constructed using predominantly original parts from the haul brought from Scuderia Centro Sud, making them the most desirable cars of the series. We are delighted to offer chassis CM4, the fourth car constructed in about 1979 by Millar, who utilised a plethora of original parts for its build.

It is understood that the engine of this car is an original 250F unit that was fitted to chassis 2505, a works car prepared for the 1954 season opener in Argentina. Chassis 2505 was a very successful car and won outright at the Argentine GP, with Fangio at the wheel, and again with Fangio at the Belgian GP. The car was later raced by Alberto Ascari at Silverstone and scored another win with Luigi Musso at Pescara. Harry Schell also ran the car at various events, and it was later sold to the Scuderia Centro Sud, where it was raced by Joachim Bonnier. In 1958, #2505 was returned to the works, where it was rebuilt and renumbered #2500 before being given to the Biscaretti Museum in Turin, where it remains to this day. The engine was acquired and Millar was able to acquire the mechanical components from #2505 within the package of spares directly from Scuderia Centro Sud.

Chassis CM4 was completed and a new body and chassis were crafted by Millar to 1954/56 Tipo 1 style specification, using the engine, gearbox, axles and brakes, amongst other mechanical components, from #2505. Originally owned by Count Hubertus von Donhoff, who subsequently sold the car to noted Italian collector Count Giovanni Lurani during the early 1980s and campaigned it in historic events, CM4 then passed through the hands of Count Luigi Castelbarco, who continued to campaign the car. Prior to the current owner’s acquisition of the car, it resided with two long-term owners in France.

Supplied with 1988-dated FIA paperwork, historical paperwork and a letter from Cameron Millar discussing the car, this fabulous example of the most beautiful single seater Grand Prix car will offer its new owner a highly eligible, competitive and exciting historic Grand Prix experience.