Lot Number
137

1960 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé by Pinin Farina

Sold For €459.200

Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.

RM | Sotheby's - PARIS 2016


Chassis No.
1749 GT

Documents: UK V5

  • The 293rd of only 353 examples built
  • Finished in its original colour combination
  • A true ‘gentleman’s Ferrari’; the embodiment of sporting elegance

240 bhp, 2,953 cc SOHC V-12 engine with three twin-choke Weber carburettors, four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with unequal-length A-arms and coil springs, live rear axle with semi-elliptical leaf springs and parallel trailing arms, and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 2,600 mm

The new 250 GT coupé, introduced at the 1958 Paris Motor Show, was a decisive step forward toward true series production for Ferrari. With this new coupé, Pinin Farina coachwork replaced the Boano- and Ellena-built cars, and 353 examples were built by the time production concluded. It was a true ‘gentleman’s Ferrari’ in every sense of the phrase, thanks to its elegant styling that surrounded the luxurious interior. The new 250 GT Pinin Farina Coupé became Ferrari’s most commercially successful model.

Under the hood was Ferrari’s renowned 3.0-litre Colombo V-12, producing 240 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and topped with three twin-choke Weber carburettors. Born and developed in the crucible of motorsport, this engine provided the 250 GT with a top speed just shy of 150 mph, and it could reach 60 mph in seven seconds, which is impressive for a car of its class and faster than many comparable offerings from Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Maserati.

Chassis 1749 GT, as presented publically for the first time in over 17 years, was sent to Carrozzeria Pinin Farina by Ferrari on 22 January 1960 to have its timelessly elegant coupé coachwork fitted. The work at Pinin Farina was completed on 4 March 1960, and the car was then sold new through the Milanese Ferrari dealer M. Gastone Crepaldi to Mr Italo Bottazzi in Milan. The car was delivered in the truly elegant colour combination of Nero Tropicale IVI over a light beige interior.

The Ferrari was then exported to the USA where it resided with Glenn Zacharias in California in 1976. Subsequently, 1749 GT was returned to Italy where it was fully restored. Body work was performed by Dino Cognolato’s Carrozzeria Nova Rinascente in Vigonza, and the mechanical work was carried out by Corrado Patella, Auto Officina Omega, in Italy in the 1990s. During the restoration, a new replacement block was fitted to the car. Chassis 1749 GT was then in the ownership of Sig. Cazzola who sold it in the late ’90s in Paris. The car passed to another Italian collector, Sig. Provenzi, who used it sparingly before selling it to the current owner, based in England.

Awaiting its next caretaker, this beautiful 250 GT Pinin Farina Coupé serves as a tribute to the diverse and enthusiastic owners Ferrari courted in its earliest years.


Moteur V12 à 1 ACT par banc, 2 953 cm3, 240 ch, trois carburateurs Weber double corps, boîte de vitesses manuelle à quatre rapports, suspension avant indépendante par triangles inégaux et ressorts hélicoïdaux, pont arrière rigide oscillant avec ressorts semi-elliptiques et bras longitudinaux, freins à disque sur les quatre roues. Empattement : 2 600 mm

• Le 293e des 353 exemplaires construits

• Finie dans ses teintes d’origine

• Une vraie « Ferrari de gentleman », symbole d’élégance sportive

Le nouveau coupé 250 GT introduit au Salon de Paris 1958 représenta pour Ferrari un pas en avant décisif vers la véritable production en série. Avec ce nouveau coupé, la carrosserie de Pinin Farina remplaça les voitures construites par Boano et Ellena et, à la fin de sa production, 353 exemplaires avaient été réalisés. Ce fut une vraie « Ferrari de gentleman » dans toute l’acception de l’expression grâce à son style élégant qui habillait un luxueux intérieur. La nouvelle 250 GT Coupé Pinin Farina allait devenir le modèle le plus diffusé de Ferrari.

Le capot abritait le réputé moteur V12 Colombo de 3 litres de Ferrari qui donnait 240 ch à 7 000 tr/min coiffé par trois carburateurs Weber double corps. Né et développé dans le creuset du sport automobile, ce moteur emmenait la 250 GT à un peu moins de 240 km/h et accélérait de 0 à 100 km/h en 7 secondes, des chiffres impressionnants pour une voiture de cette classe, plus rapide que plusieurs de ses rivales de chez Aston Martin, Jaguar et Maserati.

Le châssis 1749 GT tel qu’il est offert en vente publique pour la première fois depuis plus de 17 ans, fut envoyé à la Carrozzeria Pinin Farina par Ferrari le 22 janvier 1960 pour y recevoir cette caisse de coupé d’une beauté intemporelle. Les travaux de Pinin Farina furent achevés le 4 mars 1960 et la voiture fut vendue neuve par le concessionnaire milanais de Ferrari, Gastone Crepaldi, à M. Italo Bottazzi de Milan. La voiture était finie dans une élégante combinaison de teintes Nero Tropicale IVI avec intérieur beige clair.

En 1976, la Ferrari partit aux états-Unis, propriété de Glenn Zacharias en Californie. Par la suite, 1749 GT revint en Italie où elle fut totalement restaurée. La carrosserie fut traitée par Carrozzeria Nova Rinascente de Dino Cognolato à Vironza et les travaux mécaniques furent confiés à Corrado Patella, Auto Officina Omega, en Italie, dans les années 1990. Lors de cette restauration, la voiture reçut un nouveau bloc. Le châssis 1749 GT était alors la propriété de Sig. Cazzola qui la vendit à Paris à la fin des années 1990. La voiture appartint à un autre collectionneur italien, Sig. Provenzi, qui l’utilisa très peu avant de la céder à son propriétaire actuel en Angleterre.

Dans l’attente d’un nouveau maître, cette superbe 250 GT Coupé Pinin Farina est un hommage aux divers propriétaires passionnés auxquels Ferrari s’adressait à ses débuts.



Suggested lots

8 December 2018

The Petersen Automotive Museum Auction

Petersen Automotive Museum, Los Angeles, California

RM | SOTHEBY'S

17 - 18 January 2019

Arizona

Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona

RM | SOTHEBY'S