language

Monaco | Lot 372

1961 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II Drophead Coupé by Mulliner Park Ward

€195,000 - €235,000 EUR

Monaco | Monaco, Monaco

12 May 2012


Chassis No.
SYD 118

230 bhp, 6,230 cu in OHV V-8 engine, two SU carburettors, four-speed automatic transmission, independent front suspension with coil springs and wishbones, semi-elliptic rear springs with electrically controlled shock absorbers, power-assisted hydraulic front and hydro-mechanical rear drum brakes. Wheelbase: 123”

• Highly desirable, left-hand drive Silver Cloud II H.J. Mulliner Drop Head coupé

• Fitted with factory air conditioning and power top

• Only 22,000 original miles

• Sold new to Switzerland; underwent restoration in Germany in 2008

The Silver Cloud II was introduced in October 1959 and was the first Rolls-Royce model to exceed Bentley in production numbers. The all-new V-8 engine had been in the planning stages since 1947, though the first prototype wasn’t run on a test bed until 1954. But the introduction of this model was so significant that for the first time in history, the all-aluminium engine was displayed alongside the new Rolls-Royce motor cars at the London Motor Show.

Historically, Rolls-Royce made changes only after exhaustive testing would prove the proposed improvements were, indeed, improvements. The new V-8 replaced the Works’ venerable straight-six engine, which in its original configuration was introduced in 1907 and fitted to the Silver Ghost. The new V-8 provided about 30% more horsepower over the previous model’s straight six engine and performance was now more than adequate. Cruising speed was further increased, in part by raising the rear axle ratio. Fuel consumption dropped from 16 mpg on the 6-cylinder cars, to about 10 mph on the new V-8. Chassis lubrication intervals were increased to 10,000 miles, as the former one-shot “Bijur” pedal pump system was replaced by 21 grease gun fittings.

This particular example is exceptionally rare, as it was converted from right-hand drive to left-hand drive before it was delivered new and registered to its first owner in Switzerland. The odometer shows only about 43,800 km (22,000 miles), which is strongly believed to be original mileage. It was restored in 2008 to its original Steel Blue over Midnight Blue colour combination, a Rolls-Royce paint colour scheme by Fernandes Automobiltechnik in Hamburg, Germany. The new, heavily padded and correct dark blue cloth top coordinates beautifully with its original Connolly hide interior, fitted wool carpets and highly polished burled Circassian walnut trim. The car presents as it would have appeared when new and includes hand and road tools, the owner’s manual and documented provenance.

This handsome drophead coupé is fitted with power steering and power brakes. The V-8 engine’s estimated 230 horsepower is delivered through a four-speed automatic transmission, and the car has a power assisted convertible top, along with a new leather cover. A new Becker Mexico navigation system and excellent speakers round out the package. We understand the previous owner made repeated trips throughout Europe without any issues.

This example, Job Number C6407, Design Number 7504, is one of 52 cars built by H. J. Mulliner, in partnership with Rolls-Royce. It represents the most popular body style ever built on a Rolls-Royce chassis, crafted by the coach builder from the standard steel saloon (four door sedan) body into a two door drophead coupé. The winning bidder will own what is by all accounts, an “as-new” example of a stunningly attractive Rolls-Royce.

Suggested lots